About Iyengar Yoga
Iyengar Yoga is a form of classical yoga as developed and refined by yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar. This method utilizes alignment and breath to create integrated action and awareness. The hallmarks of Iyengar yoga are:
- Precision in the poses, utilizing specific anatomical detail to create correct alignment.
- An orderly, systematic progression of poses to develop the student's ability both within a class, and from class to class.
- The use of props as teaching tools and aids, allowing students of varying abilities to work in the poses with integrity and alignment.
- Highly developed teaching methodology including the precise use of language, demonstration and teaching of specific points of action in a pose, and individual correction and adjustment of students.
- A complete approach to physical, mental, emotional and spiritual transformation, bringing the practitioner physical health and vitality, mental clarity and wisdom, and emotional serenity and poise.
B.K.S. Iyengar is widely considered to be one of the world's greatest living yoga masters and, more than any other single person, responsible for the huge popularity of yoga in the West. His seminal work Light on Yoga is the most published book on yoga ever written. In 2004, Time Magazine named him as one of the 100 most influential people in the world.
BKS Iyengar passed away in August 2014. His life and work brought peace and healing to thousands of people, and will continue to benefit the world for generations to come. His daughter Geeta Iyengar has shared these beautiful words:
"Only his body has ended. One person's efforts from inside out, changed the acceptance of yoga throughout the world. Nothing was hidden, from the time he began to practice, to his illness and death. Even last night he was telling Abhijata, "I have shown you all these things, now realize them for yourself." What he has given cannot be encompassed by words. If a disciple is more developed, then that person will understand. What can be said in words, is that he was precious to us."
Green Tara Yoga & Healing Arts yoga instructors have achieved or are preparing for certification with the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States. The Certification Mark is used exclusively by Certified Iyengar Yoga Teachers throughout the world as an international symbol of the highest standards of excellence in training and continuing education in the Iyengar method.
Karen Allgire is an Intermediate Junior III Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher and Charlotte Sanpere is an Intermediate Junior I Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher. Colleen Clark and Julie Tamarkin are Introductory II Certified Iyengar Yoga Teachers. For more information about Iyengar Yoga and certification, visit the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States.
Intermediate Junior III Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher Karen Allgire offers an apprentice program for those interested in deepening their understanding of Iyengar Yoga. Apprentices must have two years of Iyengar Yoga study and be able to make a yearlong commitment to the program. For prerequisites, requirements, costs and other program details, contact Karen.